Platinum Poster

• Site Owner
  • 27705 posts
  • LocationUnited States
  • PSN ID:Roughdawg4
  • Feedback Score:609

User's Awards

Posted 10 April 2013 - 11:52 AM

This is a new shoe on A&E (same channel as walking dead) and it is 4 episodes in the series so far.  This show is fucking messed up and has been really good so far.

If anybody is looking for a new show to watch this is a good one

#2 MikeKeese

MikeKeese

The Grinch

• Premium Trader
  • 3041 posts
  • LocationUSA
  • PSN ID:MikeKeese
  • Feedback Score:125

User's Awards

Posted 10 April 2013 - 12:07 PM

Isn't doing any show that rips off psycho kind of an insult?

ZnkTild.png
MikeKeese.png

#3 Roughdawg4

Roughdawg4

Platinum Poster

• Site Owner
  • 27705 posts
  • LocationUnited States

User's Awards

Posted 10 April 2013 - 12:30 PM

And why would it be an insult ?

#4 MikeKeese

MikeKeese

The Grinch

• Premium Trader
  • 3041 posts
  • LocationUSA

User's Awards

Posted 10 April 2013 - 01:32 PM

Well usually making anything modern like a remake or a spinoff doesn't do well in paying homage to the original material. I don't know how it is and I'm not going to watch it in all honesty but seeing as psycho is arguably one of the best movies ever made it just seems like it could really go wrong.

But then again, I don't imagine that half the audience of the has even seen psycho so I could be wrong.

For example look at rob zombie's Halloween. He loved the original so he remade it. His remake was horrible and an insult to the original.

ZnkTild.png
MikeKeese.png

#5 Roughdawg4

Roughdawg4

Platinum Poster

• Site Owner
  • 27705 posts
  • LocationUnited States

User's Awards

Posted 10 April 2013 - 01:45 PM

I am not sure where the show is going to go with it, but it has been good so far.  So far I would think of it as a tv show well before the setting of the movie and I am not even certain if that is the path the show will take.

I watch TV series for my own entertainment that's all. I am not making my basis on  Psycho movie or anything else for that matter. I don't let mistakes by Rob Zombie effect my judgment for other things without at least watching them once :)

#6 MikeKeese

MikeKeese

The Grinch

• Premium Trader
  • 3041 posts
  • LocationUSA

User's Awards

Posted 10 April 2013 - 01:56 PM

Well it's not just rob zombies halloween, it's nearly every remake or spinoff. I read on the premise of the show and it seems to explore something that very few people would have ever wondered regarding Norman bates. It seems like a strange thing to do 53 years after psycho even came out.

If you enjoy it though, thats all that matters. I read it got picked up for a second season. I find it too time consuming to get into any tv shows though. I also would hate waiting for the next episode every week

ZnkTild.png
MikeKeese.png

#7 Roughdawg4

Roughdawg4

Platinum Poster

• Site Owner
  • 27705 posts
  • LocationUnited States

User's Awards

Posted 10 April 2013 - 02:02 PM

And I think that is what the show has done so far.  As I said earlier, I think its at a setting of Norman when he was a teenager so probably a prequel.

I guess I am not the type of person that puts an original on this "untouchable" pedestal that can never be reached.  The movie is over 50 years old and frankly I could care less for any movie from that time period. I guess that's just where our taste differs and there is nothing wrong with that. 

#8 MikeKeese

MikeKeese

The Grinch

• Premium Trader
  • 3041 posts
  • LocationUSA

User's Awards

Posted 12 April 2013 - 09:31 AM

So I watched the first 4 episodes of this so I could at least get some insight on what this show is about. It's not bad but it does have its flaws

A. As i thought it would, this show is using the popularity of pyshco as its main selling point when it really has little to do with the movie or book.

B. I know a series isn't going to do well if it's set in the 30s/40s but the modern setting really doesnt make a lot of sense.

C. I just don't believe that Norman Bates would have been like they portray him here. This goes back to point A though. They are using the name as a selling point to watch the series. It has little to do with psycho

D. I can't help but feel this show is inspired/ripping off twin peaks. This isn't a necessarily a bad thing but i feel like we've seen it all before

All in all though, it does have a watchability factor despite its flaws. I wouldn't be surprised if people lose interest though

ZnkTild.png
MikeKeese.png

1 user(s) are reading this topic

0 members, 1 guests, 0 anonymous users