One Evil Cow

• Standard Members
  • 4357 posts
  • LocationKansas City, MO
  • PSN ID:evilspacecow
  • Feedback Score:107

User's Awards

Posted 07 July 2012 - 01:58 AM

I know this game has been out for a while, but as it is a pretty easy Plat, in case anyone who hasn't played it yet is interested.

Prison Break is based off the first season of the TV show. You play as Paxton who is not actually in the show. This is reveled in the opening video for the game but still SPOILER if you have not seen the show but plan to: You are sent in undercover by the agency that setup Lincoln Burrows for murdering the brother of the VP. I have seen the first season of Prison Break (and only the first season). The game does show a lot of key scenes from season 1 and as your character was not actually in the show, your character is always in the background. You find out from the very beginning that Michael is going to break out and you spend the rest of the game observing how, as well as helping out other prisoners to save your own ass (pun intended).

Gameplay/Story: The game is a linear game where you are given a task and have to complete it. Fox River Penitentiary has the worst guards ever for a prison. In one level you steal rat poison, and another you steal a giant butcher knife. You character is able to go wherever he wants with a little sneaking and climbing. The AI for this game has to be the dumbest AI ever. A big portion of the game is stealth (because you go wherever you want). If you alert the guards during the stealth part, you have to reload the checkpoint (which makes sense). The shitty AI works in the player’s best interest. There is a detection meter, if it fills the guard is fully alerted. The problem is, if the guards are only partially alerted, you can simply hide in a closet, or walk around the corner and they will not investigate. Seriously, you are in a prison, if you are a guard and you think you see something you investigate. You don’t think, ehh must have been my imagination; I am going to ignore it. There are also security cameras that you have to sneak around, but you can “tip” the camera up to make it easier. That is right; you hit the camera with your hand and make it face the ceiling. How is that not some red alarm somewhere? Of course this makes the game easier, but if they were going to make the sneaking and guards so ridiculous, DO NOT make it a sneaking game. The game is also is almost linear to a fault. You have to do everything a specific way or you fail. You cannot take your own path. To make this easier, anytime you have to climb, it will always make that object yellow.

Controls: The controls are okay. You have main modes of play: standard walking around, stealth, fighting and quick-time-events. The controls for standard walking and stealth are pretty basic and easy to get used too. You cannot jump on your own unless you are next to an object that you can climb (which annoys me). It is like, hey I am in prison, I just want to jump around and act crazy. Anytime you can do an action, the game will remind you of which buttons do what. The fighting parts are not bad once you get used to the controls (it took me 20 fights before I was able to win no problem). The fighting is over-the-shoulder boxing. You have 3 main buttons. Countering takes a while to master, but once you do, you will win all fights without problem. I do about half countering, half punching. The QTE are horrible on the hardest difficulty. If you press the wrong button it is instantly failure, but you will have to rapidly tap a button and then it will switch suddenly and be a button you have to quickly press. If you do not stop rapidly tapping and quickly hit the new button, it is instant failure. Maybe I was just slow, but a lot of the QTEs would kill me because of the sudden transition between rapid tap and instantly tap new button. Luckily the QTE are all the same button press, so you can just do it once, fail and then know when to switch, but it would have been nice to have a slight time to react.

Camera: The camera is good for an over the shoulder view. Sometimes while sneaking it feels too close to your shoulder. Also during some fights, in which you are surrounded by people, you character will be completely not visible because some guy in the crowd in completely blocking the camera. You do have control over the camera with the joystick, so it makes it a little nicer.

Graphics: The graphics are okay, nothing too amazing but not bad. Nothing really stands out. I did have a few instances where I would be teleported through walls and have to restart the check point. I couldn’t really recreate this (although I did not try), so I am not sure what caused it. During the game you open electrical boxes (apparently prisoners get to mess with the electricity) by unscrewing screws in each of the four corners. However, while unscrewing, the prisoner always holds the screwdriver in the middle of the box, never moving to any of the corners. Sure, this happens every once in a while in games, but in the middle of an already bad game? Why make it worse?

Audio: This game did manage to get all of the actors from the show to do their voices. Some of them talk very flat though. Also some of the voice actors for the random characters you see are really bad. At the beginning of the game you see the secretary and a guard sneak into a room to have sex. The secretary says “We are going to get…CAUGHT”. So first she puts this really long pause between get and caught, second she orgasmically utters the word caught, even though they are just talking about it. My wife found the line hilarious! Music is boring and repetitive.

Trophies: The trophies are not too bad with the exception of one (in my opinion). You have to beat the entire game without ever being seen during the stealth missions. What makes this so difficult is the game has no save feature. If you get caught, you either have to exit completely to the XMB or some people claim you can just quit in-game (I have been too nervous to try this myself). When you do this, it will take you back pretty far. There are a few sections which are rather difficult and you may have to exit a couple of times. Luckily, on the easiest difficulty it shows you where they are at. Some guards do have if they see you at all, it is instant detection, while others you can hide really quick. The rest of the trophies are pretty easy. You have to beat the game on the hardest difficulties which isn’t too bad except for the QTE. There are a few grindy trophies that are not too much of a grind.

Rating: no trophy=worst (1), :plat =best (5))
Gameplay/Story :silver (3) Giving it silver b/c all the problems make the game easier, thought about giving it lower though.
Controls: :gold (4)
Camera: :gold (4)
Graphics: :silver (3)
Audio: :silver (3)
Trophies: :gold (4)
OVERALL: :silver / :gold (3.5)
Please note that it is only this high because it is so easy.

Evilspacecow.png

#2 MINIRACIZ

MINIRACIZ

Platinum Poster

• Standard Members
  • 6682 posts
  • LocationUnited States
  • Feedback Score:155

User's Awards

Posted 07 July 2012 - 04:50 AM

as well as helping out other prisoners to save your own ass (pun intended).

Lol. That's a great pun! Great review Evil. Post pinned.

#3 Lord_Raiden

Lord_Raiden

Platinum Poster

• Premium Trader
  • 7062 posts
  • LocationCentral Illinois, USA
  • PSN ID:Lord_Raiden
  • Feedback Score:430

User's Awards

Posted 07 July 2012 - 07:46 AM

i'll sum it up, this game fucking sucks

Lord_Raiden.png

lord_raiden.png

#4 Evilspacecow

Evilspacecow

One Evil Cow

• Standard Members
  • 4357 posts

User's Awards

Posted 07 July 2012 - 09:45 AM

IT sucks but it is an easy plat. If it wasnt for that, I would have given it a much lower score, but it is just so easy.

Evilspacecow.png

#5 Lord_Raiden

Lord_Raiden

Platinum Poster

• Premium Trader
  • 7062 posts
  • LocationCentral Illinois, USA
  • PSN ID:Lord_Raiden
  • Feedback Score:430

User's Awards

Posted 07 July 2012 - 09:58 AM

IT sucks but it is an easy plat.

actually no it's not

anyone that is thinking of playing it for the "easy platinum" make sure you read up and know what you're getting yourself into. i forgot the level but there are a couple with the spotlights and such where the "finish the whole game undetected" are a real bitch

Lord_Raiden.png

lord_raiden.png

#6 Evilspacecow

Evilspacecow

One Evil Cow

• Standard Members
  • 4357 posts

User's Awards

Posted 07 July 2012 - 11:06 AM

IT sucks but it is an easy plat.

actually no it's not

anyone that is thinking of playing it for the "easy platinum" make sure you read up and know what you're getting yourself into. i forgot the level but there are a couple with the spotlights and such where the "finish the whole game undetected" are a real bitch

I guess easy isn't the correct word. Invisible isn't impossible but it can be frustrating. I have had much more frustrating trophies. I mention it in my review. It is chapter 7. It is a bitch, but doable. As long as you make sure to quit into XMB is you get caught. I got caught a lot, but each time would slowly advance more and it really did not take a lot of time to get past.

Evilspacecow.png

Also tagged with one or more of these keywords: Review, Prison Break

0 user(s) are reading this topic

0 members, 0 guests, 0 anonymous users