The Grinch

• Standard Members
  • 3046 posts
  • LocationUSA
  • PSN ID:MikeKeese
  • Feedback Score:131

User's Awards

Posted 30 June 2012 - 06:24 PM

As many of you are aware, this is KB's favorite game of all time. He liked the demo when he played it and asked me if I'd want to do it co-op. I thought to myself "how bad could it be? Most games are at least decent co-op" Well, needless to say I learned my lesson.

Overview:

The Kane and Lynch franchise began back in 2007 with K&L: Dead Men. The game garnered relatively average to poor reviews but was moderately popular (enough to make a sequel at least). The game sparked controversy over its review on gamespot.com and shed light on the possibility that companies paid big review sites to give games better reviews despite it being a poor game.

3 years after the first game and the above issues, IO released K&L 2: Dog Days and after playing it, I have no idea why but that's besides the point. Having never played the first game, the plot was of little concern to me and seemed fairly generic anyway. One of their girlfriends is killed and they are trying to get revenge on some crime gang. Game was obviously not trying too hard.

Gameplay (Single Player/co-op):

Much like the plot, the gameplay could not be more generic here. Its a standard third person shooter and that's really all that needs to be said. The biggest problem regarding the gameplay element is the hit detection of the bullets. It was quite bad and you end up wasting much more ammo than necessary to take down a single generic thug. I have played games with worse hit detection but this was up there. The game controls decently but that's about it. Aiming is clunky to a certain extent and coupled with the hit detection it makes it a more frustrating experience than it needs to be.

The other fatal flaw of this game (and to be honest the majority of games this generation) is the atrocious length of the game. On easy or normal you can blow through the 11 chapter campaign in about 4 hours. That is pathetic for a full priced game. The single player also has absolutely no replay value as there are no stats, no gun upgrades, etc. Besides beating it on harder difficulties, one playthrough is more than enough.

My third gripe is the games use of shaky cam. That was supposed to be one of the unique features of this game but all you want to do is turn it off (which is an option). You do get used to it eventually but having it as the default is pretty worthless. It adds no feeling of realism to the game.

Despite my above complaints, the game does have one redeeming factor; its very unintentionally funny. The game is supposed to be completely serious but I don't know how. My friend and I played through the story before KB and I did and we couldn't stop laughing at some of the ridiculous lines they spouted and some of the ridiculous decisions they made. Most notably is chapter 6 where they are completely naked and its supposed to be a serious moment. I had to pause several times in my first playthrough because I was laughing too hard. There is nothing like a naked man throwing a bowling ball at a cop and killing him. That is something you will only see in this game.

The other SP mode is arcade which allows you to play the MP mode Fragile Alliance with CPU partners. Its moderately entertaining and far more enjoyable than the main story. Fragile Alliance is a pretty interesting MP mode but i will talk about that now.

Gamplay (Multiplayer):

Despite how bad the SP is to me, the MP is actually moderately decent. Sadly, the trophies ruin the MP and this game has the WORST online community of all time. I have played some games with terrible communities like Army of Two: The 40th Day (US) and Call of Duty but K&L2 takes the cake. There are only about 20 players but they all scream and yell, get pissed when you don't start the game, don't start the game when you're waiting, and rage quit within the first 2 minutes. They also intentionally attempt to screw over anyone going for trophies if they find out that's why you are playing.

The MP is made up of 3 game types; Fragile Alliance, Undercover Cop, and Cops and Robbers and 6 maps. The simplest mode is Undercover Cop. You have your gang (4 minimum) and one of the people is an undercover cop. The point is to loot the designated area of the level and escape alive fighting off ai thugs. The undercover cop can help the players loot but the idea is to not let the criminal gang escape on the helicopter. Simple mode and the least interesting of the 3.

Cops and Robbers pits two teams against each other (3 on 3 minimum) in a 4 round game. Each team plays twice as the cops and twice as the robbers. The goal is to have the most loot at the end of the 4 rounds in order to win. Cops attempt to kill the robbers while the robbers attempt to escape alive. Robbers only keep their loot if they escape. For being the most promoted game mode, it was very unpopular amongst the surviving community. Its not bad but its way too hard to start a match because there are not many people who play it. It also contains the worst trophy in the game but that will come later.

The final mode and most popular is fragile alliance. This game mode is actually unique and fun. All party members start as a team much like undercover cop but this time there is no cop. The group loots a designated area and then attempts to carry gained cash to the escape point while fighting off cops and swat team members. The thing that makes this game mode different though is the opportunity to betray your team and steal their cash. One or more members may go rogue and start shooting their team in an attempt to get more loot than anyone else. The concept of never knowing who you can actually trust gives the game mode a thrilling experience rather than a frustrating one.

The other thing that was interesting in the MP was the addition of a morality system. While in the lobby you could see a players loyalty ranking and level. This allowed you to gauge your teammates. For example if someone had the "scum" loyalty, they were most likely going to betray the team while a "saint" is more likely to stay loyal and help the team. In a game with a better community, this system would have been very cool because it would allow you to see if someone is a team player or a jackass before it starts.

Replay Value:

With this game the replay value is a double edged sword. The single player has little replay value rather than beating it on the hardest difficulty if you didn't the first time. The multiplayer on the other hand could give the game decent value if picked up for a bargain price (the games is under 10 dollars these days) but with the awful community its almost worthless to play. i found the MP could be a decent experience with some close friends but that's really it. Because of the lack of decent people on the MP and the SP being bland and short, the replay value is low.

Trophies:

I actually like the trophy set of this game in concept but because of the poor execution of the game, it ruins a decent list. You get a trophy for beating each chapter along with one for beating the game on extreme and beating the game in co-op. I do commend the game on stressing it as a co-op experience rather than tacking it on. The trophies also offer a decent mix of SP and MP trophies allowing you to explore all modes which I enjoy. I like games that encourage the gamer to use the disc to its fullest. You must play the story, arcade mode, and all three MP modes in order to get the trophies.

For story trophies, the majority of them are easy. Extreme has some tough spots, especially on Chapter 11 but its nothing two solid TPS players can't handle with some practice. The only other somewhat frustrating story trophy is Mexican Showoff for killing 5 enemies while you are downed. Because of the terrible hit detection you will often waste many bullets and not have enough ammo or time to get close to 5 kills. Too often enemies are able to survive way more hit than they should be able to.

Arcade trophies again aren't too hard although Lightning Looter seems impossible at first, which requires you to get 8 million (all the cash over 2 rounds) and escape within 6 minutes. It seems crazy at first but with enough practice on the bridge (the only level I see this as possible on) you'll get it. There is a trophy for getting to round 10 but Shoe found a good strategy on the airport that once you fight the first wave on enemies you can go escape without looting and there will be no opposition for you when you are climbing the stairs.

Finally and what makes the game a hard and rare plat are the MP trophies. These are a must boost because the community is awful, dead, and targets trophy hunters. While most of these are easily boostable with a group of 4 the hardest trophy is not which makes this game much harder than it needs to be. Once you start a match, the lobby is locked which is good for the sake of boosting. There are trophies for killing everyone as the undercover cop, killing the undercover and escaping, reaching highest and lowest loyalty, etc. This games legendary trophy though is Alpha Male and slightly less Addict. Addict seems simple enough. It entails winning 20 cops and robbers matches. The problem is the game mode requires 6 people and no one plays it. You can sit in a lobby for 20-30 minutes with no one joining. Also as soon as people start losing they always drop out which leaves one team lopsided. That coupled with awful servers that could lead to a disconnection makes it a lot more frustrating.

Alpha Male is in a whole other league. This is one of the most notorious glitched trophies in existence coupled right up there with Best Squad from BF1943. This trophy requires you to be the highest scorer out of all players in cops and robbers. The problem is that no one knows how to get this trophy to unlock and its very glitchy. Some people have gotten it to unlock just as the description states. Others have said no one can disconnect while playing or it won't count. Others have gotten it with people leaving. I was top player several times and couldn't get it to unlock. Our strategy was to have no one disconnect, have the player win, and finally they had to get at least 1 kill in each round. This is what worked for me after about 4 or 5 glitched attempts. In theory its simple but its programming is horrendous and it amps up the games difficulty way too much.

Ending Statement:

While Kane and Lynch 2 is a bad game I commend it for trying. The SP/co-op is horrendous and probably one of the worst I have ever played. As I said, the only thing I enjoyed was the good laugh I got out of it.

The MP had potential but with awful servers, awful people, and way too small of a community, anything it had going for it went way down the drain.

The trophies are decent but Alpha Male and Addict make this game not even worth playing at all for the trophies unless you have a great internet connection, a couple of very dedicated boosters, and a few ps3s each (or just Shoe in our case)

Story Mode- 2/10
Multiplayer- 7/10
Replay Value- 3/10
Trophies- Difficulty- 7-8/10 (only because of Alpha Male and Addict, otherwise a 5 at most) Fun Factor- 4/10 (because of the horrendous community)

Overall- 3.5/10

This post has been promoted to an article

Posted Image
Posted Image

#2 Roughdawg4

Roughdawg4

Platinum Poster

• Site Owner
  • 32872 posts
  • LocationUnited States
  • PSN ID:Roughdawg4
  • Feedback Score:619

User's Awards

Posted 30 June 2012 - 08:04 PM

Another nice review Mike, and congrats since it is your third :)

#3 BlakeyBlake999

BlakeyBlake999

• Standard Members
  • 432 posts
  • LocationUK
  • PSN ID:Kill-MC-Mildred
  • Feedback Score:11

User's Awards

Posted 30 June 2012 - 08:18 PM

i actually really liked this game lol, everyone online were retarded and i just destroyed them all xD Scar and mac 10 FTW!!!

the story was also pritty fun and i really enjoyed playing it co-op, great game for the £12 i payed day after release xD
Posted ImagePosted Image

#4 MikeKeese

MikeKeese

The Grinch

• Standard Members
  • 3046 posts
  • LocationUSA

User's Awards

Posted 30 June 2012 - 08:29 PM

Thank you. I've been raking in the awards the last 2 weeks. Glad to write reviews though. I wish we had them on a lot of games since as trophy hunters we'd be writing it from a partially different perspective than a paid critic.

i actually really liked this game lol, everyone online were retarded and i just destroyed them all xD Scar and mac 10 FTW!!!

the story was also pritty fun and i really enjoyed playing it co-op, great game for the £12 i payed day after release xD

Wow it really tanked that fast? It went down fast here but nothing like that.
Posted Image
Posted Image

#5 Roughdawg4

Roughdawg4

Platinum Poster

• Site Owner
  • 32872 posts
  • LocationUnited States
  • PSN ID:Roughdawg4
  • Feedback Score:619

User's Awards

Posted 30 June 2012 - 08:51 PM

People wanted to do like difficulty threads and sometimes they can be generic. I like reviews better :)

Is there any games you were looking for in particular? If I have played them I can write one, I havent done one in a while.

#6 MikeKeese

MikeKeese

The Grinch

• Standard Members
  • 3046 posts
  • LocationUSA

User's Awards

Posted 30 June 2012 - 09:20 PM

Not really in particular. I think if anything we could try and do reviews of recent games that have come out so people can gauge them. For example I think Amazing Spiderman would be a perfect one because the game looks like it good be solid but it also may be bad.

I think at this point going back to games from 09-10 unless you have very specific feelings on the game such as K&L for example, is not super relevant anymore. My first 2 reviews were on newer games which I think could sway a purchase one way or another where as most older games are so cheap that its a low risk investment to buy and try.
Posted Image
Posted Image

#7 Homeslicer

Homeslicer

Bronze Poster

• Standard Members
  • 719 posts
  • Locationny, usa
  • PSN ID:homeslicer
  • Feedback Score:18

User's Awards

Posted 30 June 2012 - 10:01 PM

good review. i really liked the game too. lol. good soundtrack. easy playthru i had fun. the hardest, was some cheap horible ai and aiming was crap.online really brings the scum of the earth out for this one. i supose the way the online is setup is a magnet. well worth the $5 i paid. plus $10? for dlc. thanks to import heads mikekeese,kb420, mini, and shoe. i got the fastest 100% atm still @ 6days 7 hours. if i didnt have the help from here i would off never even got 100% some very hard online trophies. steady cam off is a must
Posted ImagePosted Image

#8 MikeKeese

MikeKeese

The Grinch

• Standard Members
  • 3046 posts
  • LocationUSA

User's Awards

Posted 30 June 2012 - 11:17 PM

good review. i really liked the game too. lol. good soundtrack. easy playthru i had fun. the hardest, was some cheap horible ai and aiming was crap.online really brings the scum of the earth out for this one. i supose the way the online is setup is a magnet. well worth the $5 i paid. plus $10? for dlc. thanks to import heads mikekeese,kb420, mini, and shoe. i got the fastest 100% atm still @ 6days 7 hours. if i didnt have the help from here i would off never even got 100% some very hard online trophies. steady cam off is a must

You paid back more than enough with Payday help too. Now if only somehow we could all help shoe with something
Posted Image
Posted Image

#9 kb420mcl

kb420mcl

Community Game Champion

• Standard Members
  • 2053 posts
  • LocationUSA
  • PSN ID:kb420mcl
  • Feedback Score:174

User's Awards

Posted 30 June 2012 - 11:27 PM

You paid back more than enough with Payday help too. Now if only somehow we could all help shoe with something

I'm ready to help him with easy street and don't lose face.

#10 MINIRACIZ

MINIRACIZ

Platinum Poster

• Standard Members
  • 6682 posts
  • LocationUnited States
  • Feedback Score:155

User's Awards

Posted 30 June 2012 - 11:35 PM

I got a review for this game: "THIS GAME FUCKIN SUCKS"!

#11 MikeKeese

MikeKeese

The Grinch

• Standard Members
  • 3046 posts
  • LocationUSA

User's Awards

Posted 01 July 2012 - 12:29 AM

I think "Dog Days? More like Dog Shit" would have been good enough but I thought I'd tell why
Posted Image
Posted Image

#12 MINIRACIZ

MINIRACIZ

Platinum Poster

• Standard Members
  • 6682 posts
  • LocationUnited States
  • Feedback Score:155

User's Awards

Posted 01 July 2012 - 12:31 AM

I think "Dog Days? More like Dog Shit" would have been good enough but I thought I'd tell why

Lol. It is an extremly great review though. Great job Mike.

#13 BlakeyBlake999

BlakeyBlake999

• Standard Members
  • 432 posts
  • LocationUK
  • PSN ID:Kill-MC-Mildred
  • Feedback Score:11

User's Awards

Posted 01 July 2012 - 03:59 AM

Thank you. I've been raking in the awards the last 2 weeks. Glad to write reviews though. I wish we had them on a lot of games since as trophy hunters we'd be writing it from a partially different perspective than a paid critic.

Wow it really tanked that fast? It went down fast here but nothing like that.

hell yeah lol, i just played it with my mate all the time and i did it all legit lol, platinumed that before i really got into trophies :lol i just boughted it because it was cheap :happy-:
Posted ImagePosted Image

Also tagged with one or more of these keywords: Review, Kane & Lynch 2

1 user(s) are reading this topic

0 members, 1 guests, 0 anonymous users