One Evil Cow

• Standard Members
  • 4357 posts
  • LocationKansas City, MO
  • PSN ID:evilspacecow
  • Feedback Score:107

User's Awards

Posted 25 June 2012 - 06:32 AM

NOTE: This is my first review so any comments would be very much appreciated.

Welcome to Sorcery, a PS3 game that uses on the Move controller. You play as Finn, a sorcerer’s apprentice who has been training for a whole three weeks. Your sidekick, Erline the cat, will guide you through the game. In your mind, you are already a full-fledged wizard and the best around. Being a cocky little snob (I found Finn’s character unlikable at first, but eventually he did grow on me), you decide to steal your master’s wand after starting a small fire with your own. In order to gain your skills, you steal a potion called wizard mastery that is stored in the same cabinet in as the wand (Your master does store both of these in a locked cabinet but of course leaves the key right next to it). The potion does not give you knowledge of spells, only the ability to learn new spells. This allows the game to explain how you are about to go off on this adventure and fight all of these creatures, but how you do not know every spell initially. The game’s general premise is that you cause a problem which leads to lots of people dying around you and you have to fix it.

Camera: The camera is good, but not great. Since you use the Move controller and Navigator, you only have one joystick, and you do not have direct control of the camera. If your character takes only one step left or right, the camera will not shift. So your character will be facing the side but the camera points straight ahead. If you take multiple steps, it points whatever direction you walked last. The exception to this is during boss fights, in which it will “lock” onto the boss for the most part. This was not always helpful if you were running out of the way or slightly sidestepping. Also, as with all 3rd person view games, the camera freaks out when you try to move around in narrow passages (it tries to go behind walls and realizes it can’t). There is a way to center the camera on the direction you are facing. Overall, though, you will have few problems with the camera.

Audio: The voice acting is really good, but it does sound cheesy at times. For some reason, Erline’s voice did not seem to match her character at first, but it grew on me. Also, for some reason, Finn’s voice reminded me of Michael J Fox’s character from “Back to the Future” (and now you will hear that too, muahahah). The sounds seemed to be in sync with the game and did not skip as far as I could notice.
Controls: Overall, the controls are really good. You cast spells by flicking the move remote at your TV and based on the direction and pitch of your flick, the spell will go left, right, up or down. You can also cast spells really fast, if you can flick your wrist fast enough. As with any Move game, the casting is not 100% perfect, but for 99% of the time, where I aimed, the shot went. The one exception was casting curved spells. Maybe this was just me, but supposedly if you flick your wrist, you can cast a curved bolt. This is required for a couple of trophies and you use it to unlock the path every now and then (so I would be standing there flicking my wrist trying to get the damn thing to curve for a long time). It took me a while to get it to curve like I wanted. Walking was very responsive to the joystick. The rest of the buttons do various things and the only one that was slightly annoying was :cross . :cross is “dodge” and “interact”. Sometimes when you want to interact with an object, you will roll forward.

Graphics: The graphics look great. It looks like a cartoon, but that suits the story well. I have not experienced any major visual glitches. Every now and then the cat’s tail will go through the floor, but besides that (which really is not a big deal), the game ran very smoothly. They did a great job creating visually appealing villains.

Trophies: The trophies are not too bad to obtain, except for 2 that can be a little troublesome. This game does not have a chapter select feature, but you can create saves. There is a trophy for opening every chest. If you miss a chest and do not have a save before the chest (the game blocks off the path back quite frequently), you will have the play the entire game over again. The other trophy that may cause problems is the trophy requiring you to beat the game without using a health potion. This is not hard because your health is not going to get low, but is only hard because the :square button is the health. Now if you use a health potion (accidentally hitting the button), you can load a previous save and can still get the trophy. I can confirm this, because I was literally 1 minute from the final boss fight and stretched my control and hit the :square button, after some cursing and praying, the trophy did unlock once I beat the game. Besides these two all other trophies are easy. Just read the descriptions, and for any kill trophy, go for as soon as you can (you can always load up a checkpoint if you fail).

Story: I enjoyed the story, but it was not amazing. The game is geared somewhat towards kids, but there are some darker things that might scare some really young kids. The story is pretty straight forward and easy to follow. You are trying to fix this problem you caused by performing various tasks. There is one surprise moment in the story, but overall it is predictable where it is going. The bad guys were very repetitive. For a game set in a mystical world, you only fight 2 main types of enemies, with variations of them (they have a few attacks: they have a shield, they have a bow and arrow, etc.). I am not sure why the writers wouldn’t have added at least a couple of more creatures for you to fight. None of the bosses were too difficult once you figured out what spell to use (or looked it up online).

Rating: no trophy=worst (1), :plat =best (5))
Camera: :silver (3)
Audio: :gold (4)
Controls: :gold (4)
Graphics: :plat (5)
Trophies: :gold (4)
Story: :silver (3)
Overall: :gold (4)

This post has been promoted to an article

Evilspacecow.png

#2 luckyegg

luckyegg

Silver Poster

• Standard Members
  • 1997 posts
  • LocationBelgium
  • PSN ID:luckyegg
  • Feedback Score:11

Posted 25 June 2012 - 06:57 AM

good review but i pretty sure i had over 20 savefiles. i can be wrong though

#3 Evilspacecow

Evilspacecow

One Evil Cow

• Standard Members
  • 4357 posts
  • LocationKansas City, MO
  • PSN ID:evilspacecow
  • Feedback Score:107

User's Awards

Posted 25 June 2012 - 07:42 AM

good review but i pretty sure i had over 20 savefiles. i can be wrong though

I must not have scrolled all the way down the times I loaded up saves. I have deleted that part. Thanks for the info.

Evilspacecow.png

#4 Roughdawg4

Roughdawg4

Platinum Poster

• Site Owner
  • 32872 posts
  • LocationUnited States
  • PSN ID:Roughdawg4
  • Feedback Score:619

User's Awards

Posted 25 June 2012 - 07:56 AM

Stickied. Excellent review and pretty spot on. Although the game has a few minor flaws, the game really showcases what the move can offer.

Also tagged with one or more of these keywords: Review, Sorcery

0 user(s) are reading this topic

0 members, 0 guests, 0 anonymous users