• Graphics Team
  • 3949 posts
  • LocationUtah
  • PSN ID:sefjwm
  • Feedback Score:115

User's Awards

Posted 06 April 2021 - 03:36 AM

psnplus.png

The new batch of free PS+ games are about to drop.  Here’s my quick rundown of what they are, my thoughts about them and what the trophies are like.  Remember, even if you don’t have the system yet or are unsure about whether you’d like the game, always go to the PSN store online and “buy” all the free games every month.  They will get added to your account and you can download them anytime in the future as long as you have an active PS+ subscription.

oddworldsoulstorm.jpg?w=360

Oddworld: Soulstorm - PS5
Retail - $49.99

What is it - The Oddworld universe is a long running series of games, stories and movies created and overseen by Lorne Lanning. The games were originally planned to be a pentalogy but so far only 2 main ones have been made and the studio has instead focused on spinoffs and remakes. Oddworld: Soulstorm is a re-imagining of the first spinoff game, Abe's Exoddus. Abe, a Mudokon whose people are enslaved by the more advanced and industrial Glukkons, has decided to fight back and free them. Abe uses hand crafted gadgets and psychic powers to distract and defeat enemies across a 2D platforming world. Along the way he can call for his fellow workers to gather and follow him to freedom. His fellow workers, however, aren't as intelligent or resourceful as he is. It takes care to prevent their untimely and gruesome deaths by the hands of the guards or the dangerous environment. Every action and decision builds up positive and negative Quarma determining the type of hero Abe will eventually become.

My thoughts - The Oddworld games have been around for a long time and I've always been intrigued by them. I'm not sure I'm feeling the over the top dark humor and physical comedy, but these games have reviewed well and received many industry awards. This may be the time to finally check out what all the hype is about.

Trophies - The one negative about getting brand new games with PS+ is there's little information about the trophies. The list just barely released and there are some potentially difficult trophies for getting all the badges. If the previous game (New 'n' Tasty) is anything to go by, Soulstorm is going to be a difficult platinum. There are likely speed run, no death and Quarma based trophies.

daysgone.jpg?w=360

Days Gone - PS4
Retail - $39.99 Sale - $14.79

What is it - Days Gone is a third person, open world action game. A global pandemic has killed most of the human population and has turned the majority of the survivors into uncontrollably violent creatures known as Freakers. Deacon St. John is a bounty hunter roaming the wastelands on his motorcycle, scavenging for supplies, avoiding Freakers, and trying to make sense of his life. Things are looking bleak for Deacon as he's lost everything important to him and doesn't know if he wants to keep on living. The Freakers are bad but other people can be worse. Is it worth it fighting anymore or should he just give up?

My thoughts - A lot of people are complaining about this being already in the PS+ Collection but let's not forget that the PS+ Collection is only available for PS5 owners and there are millions of people who still can't get a PS5 and now have a chance to get this game for free. Days Gone came out to average reviews and was plagued by bugs at release but now has had some time to fix things and carries a very loyal fan following. While it's still "just another zombie game" Days Gone does a slightly different take on the genre and is worth a look.

Trophies - The platinum for Days Gone isn't too hard but if you plan to 100% the game the free DLCs get progressively harder. Most of the usual open world trophies are here for kills, upgrades, leveling, collectibles, base captures, and miscellaneous feats. Nothing is missable and you can clean up everything post game. The platinum will be 50+ hours and then there's DLC that requires new game+. This will take another 30 or so hours. Another DLC requires a playthrough on the hardest difficulty so you can choose which playthrough to do it on or do a third run altogether. This same DLC also needs you to kill a horde in under a minute in the hardest difficulty but late game weapons and upgrades will make this the easier of the two trophies. The final DLC adds a challenge mode and this will be the hardest set of trophies overall. Lots of practice and upgrades will be needed. It's a bit of a grind so expect to spend the same amount of time as a run through the main game.

zombiearmy4.jpg?w=360

Zombie Army 4: Dead War - PS4
Retail - $49.99 Sale - $19.99

What is it - In the previous 3 Zombie Army games you are fighting back hordes of Nazi zombie super soldiers. You succeed in defeating their armies but once again they rise from the dead and have become even stronger than before. Work together with up to 3 friends or go it alone in this third person shooter. Hordes of simple and advanced enemy types assault your team from all sides but you are equipped with overpowered weapons, both ranged and melee, to help you obliterate the armies of the undead and cast Hitler back to hell. A horde mode and multiple DLC seasons expand the experience and provide even more hours of challenges and entertainment.

My thoughts - Zombie Army 4 is basically Sniper Elite (another game from the same developer) combined with Nazi zombies. Even the stylish x-ray kills are present. I've heard good things about this game but the high price and my lack of interested friends deterred me from buying it. It's supposed to be a lot of goofy fun and now that it's available with PS+ both these previous issues have been remedied. Zombie Army 4 builds on the previous games but, luckily, there's no need to have played them first. So grab some friends and go kill zombie Hitler.

Trophies - The platinum for Zombie Army 4 may look daunting at first but it's not too bad and the required online multiplayer can actually help cut down on the grind. You have to beat each level on hard difficulty but it's best to play on lower difficulties first to level up and learn the levels. Then, when you are ready, you can save a lot of time by going online and finding other players running the hard missions. Missions can be run in any order and even better, you can join in on the final chapter of each mission and that's good enough for the trophies. While doing this step you will also want to find missions being done by 3 other players as you need to complete everything with a full team as well. Unfortunately, in horde mode you won't get credit for joining already in progress matches but you can abuse the multiplayer by setting the mode to 1 player difficulty and then having others join in. You will also need to gather collectibles and perform different combat feats. These can be done at any time and there are guides for locations and tips for completing any you don't get naturally. As long as the online servers stay healthy or you have good boosting partners you should be able to get this platinum in around 30 hours. The main issue is if you want to go for the 100%. There have been 8 paid DLCs across 2 seasons already and there are more planned. The trophies are mostly for completion so nothing is difficult but you will have to keep buying them until the developers decide to move on to Zombie Army 5.

It always amazes me how much people complain about the PS+ games every month. If it's an indie game people complain about not getting AAA titles. If it's an AAA game people complain about the genre. If it's a big popular game people complain about already owning it. We've had brand new games every month for PS5 and yet people still complain. So far PS+ has been excellent this year. Not every game is for every gamer but it's impossible to appease all tastes anyway. I'm glad for the overall variety and quality of games offered on PS+ so far and can't wait to try out each of the titles this month.

sefjwm.png

yHvACHU.png

#2 PUNISHER PREMIER

PUNISHER PREMIER

Mr. Bubbles!!

• Moderators
  • 1408 posts
  • LocationUnited States
  • PSN ID:PUNISHER-PREMIER
  • Feedback Score:2

User's Awards

Posted 07 April 2021 - 12:00 PM

Pretty good lineup imo. Looking forward to playing Days Gone. Thanks for the review Sef!

Posted Image

Posted Image

0 user(s) are reading this topic

0 members, 0 guests, 0 anonymous users