• Graphics Team
  • 3889 posts
  • LocationUtah
  • PSN ID:sefjwm
  • Feedback Score:115

User's Awards

Posted 06 October 2020 - 02:49 AM

psnplus.png

The new batch of free PS+ games are about to drop.  Here’s my quick rundown of what they are, my thoughts about them and what the trophies are like.  Remember, even if you don’t have the system yet or are unsure about whether you’d like the game, always go to the PSN store online and “buy” all the free games every month.  They will get added to your account and you can download them anytime in the future as long as you have an active PS+ subscription.

needforspeedpayback.jpg?w=240

Need for Speed: Payback - PS4
Retail - $19.99 Sale - $3.99

What is it - Payback is the 23rd mainline game in the Need for Speed series. At its core Payback is a open world racing game, but it's more than just racing. You play as a member of a 3 person crew. You race a lot, but you also use your skills to make sensitive deliveries, pull off heists and take part in movie style action set pieces. Your crew is fighting to get revenge against a dangerous gambling cartel while avoiding the relentless pursuit of the law.

My thoughts - Skip that new Fast and the Furious game (it's garbage) and play this instead. It has the fancy cars, racing and crazy action without all the Vin Diesel. Even if you don't normally like racing, the focus on action may be more palatable for you. It's not the best game of the series but it's probably in the top 5.

Trophies - The trophy list for Need for Speed: Payback is a mix of racing and open world. There is a lot of pure racing you have to do but there are also collectibles, bosses, and challenges across the map. The story trophies come naturally and aren't too difficult. It's the racing and getting 3 stars in all activities that will test your skill. It's not as hard as a simulation style racing game but you will likely need some practice to master the challenges. As far as the platinum time, expect 50+ hours with half your time for beating the story and the other half completing the challenges and upgrading your vehicles.

vampyr.jpg?w=240

Vampyr - PS4
Retail - $39.99 Sale - $17.99

What is it - You're a vampire with supernatural powers but you're also a doctor who's sworn to help people. Vampyr has you juggle the balance between saving people during the Spanish flu epidemic and feeding on them to survive and evolve. If you give into your vampiric needs you can level up and gain special powers. If you resist your urges you keep your humanity but impede your ability to become more powerful. With rival vampires and vampire hunters always lurking around the corner, your choices will determine your personal journey and the fate of London.

My thoughts - I have always been interested in vampire themed RPGs and there hasn't been very many of them released in years. With the next Vampire the Masquerade game seemingly stuck in perpetual development, Vampyr is the only modern option. Dontnod usually does a good job with choice making and morality systems and I'm excited to finally give this game a try. Just temper your expectations as it's not their best game and struggled critically.

Trophies - Vampyr, unfortunately, forces you to play a certain way in order to get the platinum in one playthrough. For most of the decision based trophies you can revert to a previous save to make another choice, but the trophy for not killing citizens requires you to play as a pacifist. If you want to finish everything in one playthrough, there are a few miscellaneous trophies you will want to use a guide for as well. If you choose to do this in multiple playthroughs make sure to not drop the difficulty to the easiest setting as this will lock out the trophy for not killing citizens. Expect to spend 20-30 hours per playthrough on your way to this moderately easy platinum.

We get a little variety this month as well as a game that fits well with Halloween. Both games are decent but neither were critical successes. It's an average month overall but I'm glad it's not another shooter. Still no word on how PS+ is going to handle the upcoming PS5 release. Next month would make sense but there are not a lot of PS5 games to pull from, so I wouldn't be surprised if we stay on just PS4 games for now. I hope that's not the case but wouldn't fault Sony for it... yet.

sefjwm.png

yHvACHU.png

0 user(s) are reading this topic

0 members, 0 guests, 0 anonymous users